Envisioning The Chapel’s future

On July 17, 1898, the following article appeared in the Courier-Journal: This afternoon at 2:30 O’clock the Rt Rev. William George McCloskey, Bishop of the Catholic diocese of Louisville, assisted by a number of his clergy, will lay the corner-stone of the new church of St. Philip Neri at Floyd and Woodbine streets. The church…

Prayer in the time of corona

Since its inception in 1997, The Chapel of St. Philip has been about gathering, particularly in prayer or in another spiritual endeavor. While we are prohibited from gathering, as we help stem the tide of COVID-19, we are still free to join in prayer. Prayer is about as universal a thing as there is and…

Looking back to see the future

By Bill Walsh The Chapel Council has been giving considerable thought and conversation to the future. Recently, we’ve begun digging into the history of the original St. Philip Neri Parish, even going so far as to study the blueprints from past decades. We’ve learned that the church building, built in 1898, cost $16,000 to construct.…